The management of an app project is a significant task. Don't under-estimate it.
Some tips, based on our experience:
- Decide first the core objectives: what do you want to get out of this project? Ensure everyone who must sign off on the eventual app is on board with the objectives.
- Assign the most senior person you can to be project manager, if you can't do it yourself.
- Ensure they have enough time for the project.
- Limit the number of people who have decision making authority, preferably to one.
- Consider creating a project team or reference group, to support the project manager and represent key internal interest groups. Everyone who must sign off on the project should be involved from the beginning, via the team or reference group.
- Maximise the number of people who are consulted and have input, but accept that you may not be able to satisfy all of them.
- Document the app via a functional specification before you start building and evaluate the build against these specifications.
- Allow a good amount of time for internal beta testing.